3 sisters dropping science on basketball, Harry Potter, and everything in between...

Thursday, January 25, 2007

random musings...

This season, I decided to play in the San Carlos basketball league since it's right on my way home. My first game, last week, had gone pretty well. We lost by about 5 points, but were pretty competitive, and both teams seemed pretty decent. The level seemed like it was just my speed, and everyone on my team seemed pretty nice.

This week, I felt like Steve Nash. I had about 15 points and I wasn't counting, but I had to have had at least 10 assists. I have to admit it was exhilarating playing at such a high level! Unfortunately, this was at least partly because the girls on the other team couldn't have been older than 8th grade.

When I had gotten to the gym before the game, I was early as usual, and saw some little kids shooting around on the other end of the court. As game time got closer, I thought, "This can't be the team we're playing," but sure enough it was. We ended up winning by about 50, and that was despite seriously holding back.

Unfortunately, I got a taste of being on the other end of a slaughter the next night at Kramer league. We lost by 25 points and it was so not good. Grr...it was the most frustrated I've ever been playing basketball. I can understand why Des was so frustrated last season.

We were playing a 2-3 zone and I was literally covering from the corner to the opposite wing and everything in between because our forwards and center stood rooted at the back of the key. They have no idea what they're doing, it was so annoying.

Other random thoughts:
- Remind me after I have a kid not to be one of those annoying parents that drones on and on about the most inane things relating to their children. I hate to say that because I love kids as much as the next person, but I hate having to feign interest when my co-workers start talking about where they buy their inflatable toys and giving me detailed synopses of various children's books, etc. The next time someone says, "I went to little Susie's birthday party and played in the bounce house," I'm going to say, "I went to my buddy Lisa's birthday party and did x number of tequila shots."

Alright, maybe I'm just being grumpy because of last night's game.

2 Comments:

Blogger wendy_kei said...

You WILL be one of those parents. I already know it. Look at how bad I am about Sidney -- I think everything he does is brilliant!!!

6:06 PM

 
Blogger Kimi said...

hahahahahaha i like your tequila comment. you are a wacko!

good to hear you got your balls in the air against the babies. reminds me of in dodgeball, when they play the girlscout troop - at least you guys won, and not by disqualification!!

10:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home